Engine modifications available for the Civic Type-R

Topic author
Laimie
Group: Registered users
Flag: South Africa

New Type R Owner

Post by Laimie » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:36 am

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and recently bought me a 2011 Type R Champ.

I am wanting to change my exhaust and add an induction kit but looking for recommendations.

Heres goes:

1. For the exhaust which option is better. Catback or Catless?
2. For the induction. CAI or Short ram induction?

I am based in Cape Town looking for local options preferably.

Thanks

nicBLAZE

Re: New Type R Owner

Post by nicBLAZE » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:49 pm

Welcome man

If you looking local and based in cape town I would say check facebook for a page called hooligan concepts. The guy there (Rudi) does custom induction kits and will sort you out with whatever route you decide. I was gonna go with CAI until recently when it stormed this side and I realised how reckless I drive through puddles. I can't afford a waterlocked engine so I'm sticking with SRI.

In terms of exhaust you can go for the best available and do tegiwa but if you looking for something just as good for cheaper then chat to Rudi and hooligan concepts or the guys at noise boys in cape town they do a really good replica and they say it's better than the tegiwa. Take that last part with a pinch of salt as I haven't seen the numbers with that header but definitely start there and they will give you some good Info on the rest like catback.

However once you've done these mods its essential to talk to the guys at formula R about re-flashing your ECU with Hondata software and getting it turned properly to match the mods. That way you get the best and most reliable performance.

Hope this helps man

Topic author
Laimie

Post by Laimie » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:25 am

nicBLAZE wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:49 pm
Welcome man

If you looking local and based in cape town I would say check facebook for a page called hooligan concepts. The guy there (Rudi) does custom induction kits and will sort you out with whatever route you decide. I was gonna go with CAI until recently when it stormed this side and I realised how reckless I drive through puddles. I can't afford a waterlocked engine so I'm sticking with SRI.

In terms of exhaust you can go for the best available and do tegiwa but if you looking for something just as good for cheaper then chat to Rudi and hooligan concepts or the guys at noise boys in cape town they do a really good replica and they say it's better than the tegiwa. Take that last part with a pinch of salt as I haven't seen the numbers with that header but definitely start there and they will give you some good Info on the rest like catback.

However once you've done these mods its essential to talk to the guys at formula R about re-flashing your ECU with Hondata software and getting it turned properly to match the mods. That way you get the best and most reliable performance.

Hope this helps man
Thanks nicBLAZE. Had a look at the Hooligan Concepts page and this guys work looks neat. I've reached out to him just waiting for a response.

D-Boy!!

Post by D-Boy!! » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:31 am

Other than Hondata Flashpro, you'll achieve the most gains with CAI and header.

I fit a CS tuned header (CS on the forum) and gained 7kw.
I fit Noiseboys header and gained 10kw. Best bang for buck I'd say if you're opting for the local route.
Exhaust I have a custom 76mm mandrel bent dual exit setup. Gained 2/3kw.

All dyno runs were performed on the same dyno. I did multiple runs subsequently and the car's still on par.
2009 CE FN2

Topic author
Laimie

Post by Laimie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:56 pm

Just to give you guys a heads up, especially for the guys in Cape Town. Do not trust Rudi from Hooligan Concepts. He went MIA and ran away with a few peoples money.

Botha
Group: Global moderators

Post by Botha » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:13 pm

Welcome to the forum. Answers to your questions:

1. For the exhaust which option is better. Catback or Catless? ->Catless
2. For the induction. CAI or Short ram induction? ->CAI

Happy miles.
133 wkw @ THE REEF
Hondata FlashPro |EXEDY Stg 1 Racing Clutch | TEGIWA header | Milltek Sport catback | RRC manifold (bored 72mm) | Hondata IMG | Titanium Manifold Heat Wrap | Skunk2 72mm DBW t/b | Skunk2 fuel rail | INJEN CAI | INJEN Hydro-Shield | 15mm Eibach springs | Wavetrac LSD | 19" Rage Mags | GP Splitter Pack | Mugen quick shifter | SKUNK 2 Honda 6 speed shift knob | Auto Folding Mirrors