Formula R MotorsportTegiwa Carbon Fibre Bonnet Group Buy

Hondata dealer/tuner and performance parts supplier.

johndev
Group: Registered users
Flag: South Africa

Re: Tegiwa Carbon Fibre Bonnet Group Buy

Post by johndev » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Oh. Didnt know. I thought I saw that detail in someone's post, but I wasn't sure which bonnet it was about. That's fabulous.
So if there's rain, any chance of water getting inside the engine bay?

Bravo
Group: Global moderators
Flag: Croatia

Post by Bravo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:45 pm

The bonnet comes with 'rain guards' which can be affixed when it rains. If you don't use the guards, rain can get into the engine bay and make it a bit dirty. TBH, the guards arent the best design (a bit shallow) and I can imagine heavy rain still managing to get in.
Champ White Type R (R-01683)
GT Red Stripes

MODS:
AIRTEC Intercooler with hard pipe kit, Hondata Flash Pro, Custom Downpipe, Eibach spacers front & back, 100W 6000K HID Main beam lights H7, & Fluxbeam X H11 LED fog lights, Red Foot Well Lighting from Foden (Civinfo), K&N panel filter.

PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Bravo wrote:The bonnet comes with 'rain guards' which can be affixed when it rains. If you don't use the guards, rain can get into the engine bay and make it a bit dirty. TBH, the guards arent the best design (a bit shallow) and I can imagine heavy rain still managing to get in.
Would there be any risk of damage from water getting inside if you had a CAI? I heard that it can possibly suck up water and end up inside the engine? :unsure:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No car at the moment - hopefully a CTR soon!
Kawasaki Z750S
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bravo

Post by Bravo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:10 pm

I honestly can't see that happening. I have a CAI and feel confident that won't ever be a problem.
GT Red Stripes

MODS:
AIRTEC Intercooler with hard pipe kit, Hondata Flash Pro, Custom Downpipe, Eibach spacers front & back, 100W 6000K HID Main beam lights H7, & Fluxbeam X H11 LED fog lights, Red Foot Well Lighting from Foden (Civinfo), K&N panel filter.

rido

Post by rido » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Hey bravo, that day when you said you felt the heat coming out the vents did you have the rain guards in or out?
Night Hawk Black R-17657

MODS:
RGM Exhaust, Flash Pro, OZ Ultraleggera, HID Kit,Bozo's Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Injen CAI, Tegiwa Header, Short Shifter, Skunk2 Gear knob, Leather Boot
SOUND:
Hertz/ Audison

PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:59 am

Bravo wrote:I honestly can't see that happening. I have a CAI and feel confident that won't ever be a problem.
Even in very heavy rain? I can not imagine it being food for water to end up inside the engine. :crazy:

Perhaps that person was unlucky.
Kawasaki Z750S

CivicRSA
Site Admin
Group: Administrators

Post by CivicRSA » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 am

I see a lot of guys always worrying about water in the engine. Yes if you go through 2 feet of standing water you may be looking for trouble.

Here is some thought for you. If you driving on a rainy day, because of the humidity in the air your engine can actually consume up to 250ml of water a minute at 8000rpm.
FORMULA R MOTORSPORTcc
SA Hondata Flashpro Dealer and Tuner. PM me to place orders

Honda Aftermarket and OEM parts importer and supplier.

johndev

Post by johndev » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:31 am

Thank you CivicRSA. :Thumbup:
Now that's some good perspective. I was also worrying because my cai is almost as low as the coolant fan and don't want to risk hydrolock, although I do have my splashguard on.

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Fitted my bonnet.
the finish is awesome. going to be wrapping it in clear vinyl soon. want to protect it from the inevitable stone chips.
it did require some adjusting and fiddling. but sits ok now. just want to transfer the rubber liner. :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3800 rpm = SCREAM !!!!
My build thread: http://civictype-r.co.za/phpBB3/viewtop ... =30&t=2295
149wkW 206wNm @ KAR (JHB) June 2017

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:29 pm

Apologies for the crappy phone camera pics. was in a hurry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3800 rpm = SCREAM !!!!
My build thread: http://civictype-r.co.za/phpBB3/viewtop ... =30&t=2295
149wkW 206wNm @ KAR (JHB) June 2017

johndev

Post by johndev » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Very very cool bud! Nice underside shot too. Looks tops! :D

Bravo

Post by Bravo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 pm

rido wrote:Hey bravo, that day when you said you felt the heat coming out the vents did you have the rain guards in or out?
I had them out. Having them fitted will block the air flow completely.
PsyCLown wrote:Even in very heavy rain? I can not imagine it being food for water to end up inside the engine. :crazy:
The main thing to worry about would be driving through a standing puddle of water. If it's deep enough it WILL cause a problem.
That's a no brainer.
A little water spray on the filter should not be a problem at all.

Wiki defines Hydrolock as... "an abnormal condition of any device which is designed to compress a gas by mechanically restraining it; most commonly the reciprocating internal combustion engine, the case this article refers to unless otherwise noted. Hydrolock occurs when a volume of liquid greater than the volume of the cylinder at its minimum (end of the piston's stroke) enters the cylinder. Since most common liquids are incompressible the piston cannot complete its travel; either the engine must stop rotating or a mechanical failure must occur." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock)

So to sum up, "DONT DRIVE THROUGH DEEP PUDDLES OF WATER" and you should be just fine. ;)
GT Red Stripes

MODS:

Bravo

Post by Bravo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Looks wicked Ash :evil:
GT Red Stripes

MODS:

johndev

Post by johndev » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:53 pm

Deep puddles being the operative word there! Thank you Bravo!

Bain

Post by Bain » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:57 pm

Bravo wrote:
rido wrote:Hey bravo, that day when you said you felt the heat coming out the vents did you have the rain guards in or out?
PsyCLown wrote:Even in very heavy rain? I can not imagine it being food for water to end up inside the engine. :crazy:
The main thing to worry about would be driving through a standing puddle of water. If it's deep enough it WILL cause a problem.
That's a no brainer.

Wiki defines Hydrolock as... "an abnormal condition of any device which is designed to compress a gas by mechanically restraining it; most commonly the reciprocating internal combustion engine, the case this article refers to unless otherwise noted. Hydrolock occurs when a volume of liquid greater than the volume of the cylinder at its minimum (end of the piston's stroke) enters the cylinder. Since most common liquids are incompressible the piston cannot complete its travel; either the engine must stop rotating or a mechanical failure must occur." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock)

So to sum up, "DONT DRIVE THROUGH DEEP PUDDLES OF WATER" and you should be just fine. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well sed......
Current:2016 Honda Civic TypeR FK2
Old:2013 FOrd FOcus ST1
Old:Jaguar XF 5L V8
Old:2010 Honda Civic Type R

PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:18 pm

Bain wrote:
Bravo wrote:
That's a no brainer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well sed......
*said

Alright, good to know. Guess the guy who had his engine hydrolocked was unlucky and the others over cautious?
Kawasaki Z750S