Suspension UpgradesCoilovers, spring rates

Topic author
Shrimp
Group: Global moderators
Flag: South Africa

Coilovers, spring rates

Post by Shrimp » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Thinking of blowing a few months income on some coilovers.

Ones I'm looking at are Tein Flex (best available I'd hazard): http://www.tougedistribution.com/item-- ... SHA2-61AS1

And BC Racing BR Series: http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/c-bca40/hond ... -r-fn2-06/

All imported and everything the Teins are obviously going to cost about double the BC Racing parts, so I'm leaning toward the cheaper and more immediately available option (no import hassles and stuff, JDMWORX stocks them). I've tried reading up on the BC ones regarding quality and all, people seem to think they used to be a bit dodgy but are actually pretty good these days.

I'm rather interested in the spring rates though. Does anyone know what the standard rates are on the FN2's suspension? I think the BC Racing website linked above has completely the wrong data (front and rear seem backwards), and I don't know how the 7/5kg of the Teins compare to the stock setup.

I'm NOT looking for a softer ride, so I'd rather not go for something with lower rates than stock.

Current: Honda Civic Type R FK8
-------
Ex: Honda Civic Type R FN2 Championship Edition
Personal Zwartkops record: 1:17.29!!
Honda | Kelford | Supertech | Skunk2 | Injen | Hondata | K-Sport | Endless | PasswordJDM | Tegiwa

CivicRSA
Site Admin
Group: Administrators

Re: Coilovers, spring rates

Post by CivicRSA » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:12 pm

It is going to be very hard for our roads. Why not look at the Mugen suspension?
FORMULA R MOTORSPORTcc
SA Hondata Flashpro Dealer and Tuner. PM me to place orders

Honda Aftermarket and OEM parts importer and supplier.

Topic author
Shrimp
Group: Global moderators

Re: Coilovers, spring rates

Post by Shrimp » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 pm

While I'm pretty sure the Mugen suspension is great, it provides only a 5mm front and 10mm rear drop, and no adjustability. Yet it's priced almost as much as the Tein Flex setup.

Although looking at that has provided a good spring rate reference (3.8F, 4.1R).
Current: Honda Civic Type R FK8
-------
Ex: Honda Civic Type R FN2 Championship Edition
Personal Zwartkops record: 1:17.29!!
Honda | Kelford | Supertech | Skunk2 | Injen | Hondata | K-Sport | Endless | PasswordJDM | Tegiwa