Suspension & Brake ModificationsType R Rock Hard Ride ---> Solution:Koni Yellows + Eibach Pro Kit Springs 15mm

What is available?
What has been used?

Topic author
jetli
Group: Registered users
Flag: Japan

Type R Rock Hard Ride ---> Solution:Koni Yellows + Eibach Pro Kit Springs 15mm

Post by jetli » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:41 pm

Good Day Type R Drivers,

I am sure your 1st test drive was Awesome and the ride quality was not even noticed as you where blasting into vtec zone.

I have been reading up on the Type R FN2 since it was launched in SA in 2007.
Most Magazines and Reviews mentioned the ride quality ,But as a DIE Hard Honda Type R fan that was not going to stop me from buying a one.

the one thing I could not get used to was the Crashy Hard ride - You could not enjoy spirited driving in the tec zone without knowing the type of road surface you where going to be motoring even on the highway you could feel every undulation.

Clarkson had nothing good to say about the Type R ,but one thing he mention was spot on was the ride quality.

1st attempt was Eibach Pro Kit 15mm ( Part # E10-04-011-01-22 ) - Read alot about Eibach on all the forums - how this made the ride much better.
In my mind I was telling myself that the ride was better but it was probably on par with the standard springs.

2nd And Final FIX UP - Spoke to a man named Steve of Koni SA he gave me the whole scoop about how the springs will have no real effect on ride quality but that the shocks are the major player for this.

I went to see Steve to measure the Type R shock rate to see if the Koni's would fit reason being Koni does not have a model tested for the -Type R.

The service was excellent from Steve and his son Ashley who accommodated me this December and All I can say is that I no longer have Hot Latte on my Lap.

The Ride and Handling has totally been transform, I even look for the bumps that once made me clench my jaw so that I don't bite my tongue off.

Give Koni SA a Call and speak to Ashley Tel: 011 918 2293 ( Steve has Unfortunately immigrated to the UK ) or email ashley@koni.co.za

the model numbers are as below:
Koni 8641-1416SPL x 2
Koni 8041-1360SPL x 2

I am running the Koni Yellows above + Eibach Pro Kit 15mm, But Ashley could Probably set you up with H&R springs + Koni Yellows ( as it is the Shocks that make all the difference )

2 Links which make good reading if you have any doubt on these Koni Yellow's.

https://changegears.wordpress.com/2011/ ... ow-review/

http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_c ... index.html

Enjoy the Ride :)

2017 10th Gen Civic 2.0 EXi
EX - 2010 Fn2 Type R
:wolverine: Nash-Pro ,Viper Header ,LSD ,Eibach Pro-Kit, Koni Yellow

Honda-TJ
Flag: South Africa

Post by Honda-TJ » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:07 pm

Nice to knw bru...but I dnd agree with the springs...Myself and my girlfriend has an Type R...I have 30mm Eibach springs.... and the girls car not...when i get in my car its much softer than her car she seconds me on this...I had someone drive my car and they complimented on the "softer" ride.

Why did you not go coilovers?

Topic author
jetli

Re: Type R Rock Hard Ride ---> Solution:Koni Yellows + Eibach Pro Kit Springs 15mm

Post by jetli » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi TJ, if you happy on the 30mm Eibach then good my 15mm Eibach ride was still hard.If you need to replace shocks after 80,000-100,000kms keep Koni Yellow in mind much cheaper and Better handing than Standard Honda parts.( I know as I got a quote from Honda just on front shocks and I was shocked).

Regarding coil overs heard they are quite expensive and I got an Eibach quote +/-R25K. Also read up that unless you planning track days then not really necessary for the road.
EX - 2010 Fn2 Type R

WAR Machine
Group: Global moderators

Re: Type R Rock Hard Ride ---> Solution:Koni Yellows + Eibach Pro Kit Springs 15mm

Post by WAR Machine » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:50 pm

Well good to know that the guys are trying diff combos and giving feedback. Always good to have more references to work from.

But it is also difficult to judge the end result as each person does have a diff idea of what is soft and what is hard. And there is no official set standard that we are comparing this to but only our own experience.
For example: My car is slammed to the ground on coil overs with a hard setting and to me that is great... Then I took a mates 'R' for a drive with a 25mm drop and it felt loose like it was 'drifting' in the lane. But to him that was the perfect combo that he was happy with and hates my hard ride... hehe

Im so JDM my blood type is Type R

ghillie
Flag: Australia

Post by ghillie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:23 am

Hi Jetli - I'm very interested in the modification you suggest using the Koni yellows. I too have put on the Eibach springs (a bit better) and run 235/40 tyres (with slightly higher sidewall and a bit better again) but if my wife is going to enjoy riding in my FN2 (she's tolerant but not an enthusiast) I need to get some more improvement.

I 'm in Australia so can't use your supplier. I've tried finding out if anyone else has used Konis as you have done (by posting on the UK type R forum) - but no success. One think I wanted to ask you in particular was whether or not any modifications to the Koni yellows or your suspension was needed for them to fit. Do you know?

I love my type R and want to keep it, but if I can't get improvement to the ride it's use will be limited and may eventually have to be moved on - which would be very sad.

Hoping you can help. Cheers

Topic author
jetli

Post by jetli » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:12 am

Hi there G,

I took my car to them to check 1st as there is no model number for Type R FN2 but it was a simple drop in for the front with the original shocks housing and the rear was a straight fit. :D

Lot of guys done coilovers not sure how good/comfortable the ride is on them. :unsure:

If you got money get the FK2 R Ride is smooth almost alien compared to Fn2 R , it is also 5 Doors + Big boot so nice an practical can be justified as a family car - I did not try the +R button as it was a Test Drive at a dealership and I was Chicken...

hope this helps.

Enjoy 8,600rpm Vtec
EX - 2010 Fn2 Type R

ghillie

Post by ghillie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:18 pm

Thanks Jetli - sorry I didn't reply earlier. I've been away.

I think I will give the Konis a try.

I understand that coilovers are much more expensive.

The FK2 is not available in Australia and I can't afford it anyway.....

Thanks for your help. Cheers - ghillie

aKuma

Post by aKuma » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:19 am

jetli wrote:
Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:41 pm
Good Day Type R Drivers,

I am sure your 1st test drive was Awesome and the ride quality was not even noticed as you where blasting into vtec zone.

I have been reading up on the Type R FN2 since it was launched in SA in 2007.
Most Magazines and Reviews mentioned the ride quality ,But as a DIE Hard Honda Type R fan that was not going to stop me from buying a one.

the one thing I could not get used to was the Crashy Hard ride - You could not enjoy spirited driving in the tec zone without knowing the type of road surface you where going to be motoring even on the highway you could feel every undulation.

Wow, this description is pretty spot on. So has anyone recently contact ashley@koni.co.za for pricing (before I do)? Hopefully this isn't as bad a hijack :fun: but who has sought to make their ride better in Cape Town and what exactly have you done (which brand/make coilovers or a combo like above)? If I do go the above route, who in Cape Town would be recommended for fitment? Thanks
R-22815 Image

ghillie

Post by ghillie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:38 am

Hi AKuma

I did buy and install the Konis as jetli recommended. I am in Australia so the cost to buy and install will not be directly relevant to you. However I can dig out the information if you would like.

I'm very pleased with the outcome - although I wouldn't say it was as dramatic as jetli indicates. However, before the Konis I did install the Eibach springs and fit 235 (not 225) x 18 Goodyear assymetricals. I have the Konis set at 3/4 of a turn off the softest setting (I think - I need to check).

What I would like to do now is drive an FN2 type r with the factory set up back to back with my car to get a better sense of the difference. I'll post again when I've done that.